Monday, May 12, 2014

Final Reflection

       This semester we have explored many interesting  genres and mediums that we as aspiring teachers can use in our future careers. The group activities that we have participated in  have given me new insight into technological mediums that  I was previously unfamiliar with. One activity that stood out amongst the numerous group presentations was the one that instructed us how to create a short story with another classmate using Google Docs. I thought this would make for a great in class creative writing assignment for grades 9-12. The activity is interactive and collaborative while influencing students to think critically and creatively. More importantly in can be adapted to accommodate prompts for all sorts of assignments, ranging from reflections to debates on literary works. 
    Another activity that I at first dreaded but enjoyed participating in was the poetry slam. Poetry is never fun for me but  it was nice to see that many of my classmates were very talented writers that crafted some great poetry. This activity gives students a chance to apply the skills that we hope they learn from reading poetry to their own creations without many limitations or rigid guidelines. This was another activity that I would like to use if I end up teaching in the future.
    The group activity that I enjoyed the most this semester was our PowerPoint presentations on mythology. This genre was the most interesting one that we got to study and I felt that many of the students responded uniquely to the presentation requirements. Many groups used video and new PowerPoint media that I had not seen before to support and examine the depth and impact of myth on our culture. This class has given me an opportunity to not only apply the skills I have accumulated at CSUN, but also evaluate whether or not teaching is the right career path for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment